Joint Prior Art Search ProgramBack
The joint prior art search program applies to common patent applications lodged in two countries. Participating offices analyze the results of examinations and prior art searches, compare examination practices, and share examination know-how. Examiners also visit the offices of participating countries to experience other examination systems and practices, to improve their understanding of the patent systems of other countries, and to benchmark the strengths of those systems.
The program aims to improve the examination quality of participating offices and build a foundation for the collaborative use of examination results in the future.
As of today, Korea has implemented a series of joint prior art search programs with Japan(18th), China(16th), Germany(10th) and Taiwan(3rd). In the past, Korea had carried out the joint program with Australia, UK, Russia, Spain and the EPO, but it has temporarily been suspended.
Status of the joint prior art search program
(Province of China)
|2005||A61F, H01L, S||B23B, C08L,C08G, G02F, G06F||-||-|
|2006||B25J, H01L||F24C, B60R,H01L, H01R||G09G, G06F||-|
|2007||E04C, H04N||Korea-China evaluation
meeting of the joint prior
art search program
|2008||A61K, D06F||F25B, H04B,L,Q||F01M, C08G||-|
|2009||G09G 3/36, H02K, H01M 8||A61N, H01L||F25D 23, C12Q 1,
H01L 33, H04B 7/26
|2010||H05B 33, G06F 3,
H05K 3, H04N 5
|F02D 3, C12N,
H01R 33, H04W
|2011||H01M, H04L||B60R, C07D,
|2012||G03F, G11B||H02K, G11B||-|
|2013||B63B, J, C09K,
|F04B,C,D, C08F,L||H02K, H01L 31,
B60W 30/06, A61K 31
|C07D, G06F||G01M, H01L,
|2017||G06F, A61K, C07F||G06Q, G06Q,
A61B, B32B, F16J
|F16J, B43K, B42F,
|2018||A61K, H04B, A61B|
|2019||G02B, G01H, A61F||C09K, G06F,
- The examiners of the participating countries jointly conduct patent examinations of applications commonly filed in each country.
- The results of the examinations are compared and discussed.
- The examiners who participate in the program visit the patent offices of other countries to experience other examination systems and practices.
1) Selection of the subject of a joint examination.
- ※ The subject of a joint examination is selected from a list of common applications compiled by both offices and must meet the filing requirements:
- √ The application must be filed in both countries.
- √ The applicant must be from one of the participating countries.
- √ The application must not yet be published.
2) Prior art searches and examinations
- Prior art searches under this program are conducted in the same manner as a prior art search for a general application.
- When conducting a search, examiners consider all the usual reasons for rejection, such as the unity of invention, a lack of specification in the description, and the requirements of patentability.
- The examination results are written in the format of an international search report and international preliminary examination report.
3) Discussion of results during visits of examiners
- Participating examiners compare and discuss the examination results during visits to other offices.
- Examiners have an opportunity to study the search techniques, examination methods and so on. of other offices.
- Last updated 17 August 2021
- Patent System Administration Division