Trademarks & Designs
History of the Korean trademark system
- 1908 : The Trademark Decree was promulgated.
- 1946 : The Patent Institute was established and patent laws were enacted.
- 1949 : The Trademark Act was enacted.
- 1977 : The Korean Intellectual Property Office (KIPO) was established as an independent office under the Ministry of Commerce, Industry and Energy.
- 1979 : Korea joined the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO).
- 2002 : KIPO submitted an application to WIPO to join the Trademark Act Treaty.
- 2003 : KIPO submitted an application to WIPO to join the Madrid Agreement.
- 2016 : The Trademark Act was wholly amended.
- Last updated 04 May 2023
- Trademark Examination Policy Division